Characterizing Some Gorman Engel Curves
AbstractThis paper characterizes all utility derived demand systmes having Engel curves that are linear in both income and an arbitrary function of income. This class encompasses virtually all utility derived demand systems that have been estimated in the past using ag gregate data with explicit treatment of the problem of aggregation ac ross individuals. It includes extensions of the PIGLOG and PIGL class es that have similar properties to these classes, but allow for more general Engel curve shapes. This paper extends W. M. Gorman's study o f these forms primarily by characterizing systems of rank two. The ap plication of the characterized systems to problems of nesting, separa bility, flexibility, Engel curve analysis, estimation, and aggregatio n are briefly discussed. Copyright 1987 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 55 (1987)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Beatty, Timothy K. M. & Pope, Rulon D., 2004.
"Building Gorman's Nest,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt2ws698td, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Rulon D. Pope & Jeffrey T. LaFrance & Timothy K. M.Beatty, 2004. "Building Gorman's Nest," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 26, Econometric Society.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Beatty, Timothy K. M. & Pope, Rulon D, 2004. "Building Gorman's nest," CUDARE Working Paper Series 0961, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Daal, J. van & Merkies, A.H.Q.M., 1988. "A note on the quadratic expenditure model," Serie Research Memoranda 0038, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- William Barnett & Apostolos Serletis, 2009.
"Measuring Consumer Preferences and Estimating Demand Systems,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200901, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2009.
- Barnett, William A. & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008. "Measuring Consumer Preferences and Estimating Demand Systems," MPRA Paper 12318, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shiyuan Chen & Sally Wallace, 2009. "Food Consumption in Jamaica: A Household and Social Behavior," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0901, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Laisney, François, 1991. "Mikroökonometrische Untersuchung von Aggregationsproblemen: Eine partielle Übersicht," ZEW Discussion Papers 91-03, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Sudip Ranjan Basu & Jaya Krishnakumar & Gabriela Flores, 2004. "Spatial Distribution of Welfare Across States and Different Socio-Economic Groups in Rural and Urban India," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 2004.14, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Douglas Fisher & Adrian R. Fleissig & Apostolos Serletis, 2001. "An empirical comparison of flexible demand system functional forms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 59-80.
- Gabriela Flores & Jaya Krishnakumar & Sudip Ranjan Basu, 2004. "Demand System Estimations and Welfare Comparisons: Application to Indian Household Data," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 2004.13, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Richard E. Just & Rulon D. Pope, 2012. "Cost Function Estimation with Proportional Errors in Variables," International Econometric Review (IER), Econometric Research Association, vol. 4(2), pages 59-81, September.
- LaFrance, J. T. & Beatty, T. K. M. & Pope, R. D. & Agnew, G. K., 2002. "Information theoretic measures of the income distribution in food demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 235-257, March.
- Soregaroli, Claudio & Huff, Karen & Meilke, Karl D., 2002. "Demand System Choice Based On Testing The Engel Curve Specification," Working Papers 34139, University of Guelph, Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.