An independence result concerning the arrival rate of and the provision of transport to tourists
AbstractWhat is the relationship between the arrival rate of tourists at a transport providing firm's depot and the long run expected wait time experienced by individual tourists in this depot? We use a renewal theoretic framework in this note to answer this question. Our analysis yields two results. First, we show that the long run expected wait time is independent of the arrival rate of the tourists. Second, we explain why this long run expected wait time is equal to the average residual life of a particular renewal process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R4 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amitrajeet Batabyal & Hamid Beladi, 2008.
"Visitor classification, vehicle breakdowns, and the provision of transport for tourism,"
AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 99-105, December.
- Amitrajeet Batabyal & Hamid Beladi, 2008. "Visitor classification, vehicle breakdowns, and the provision of transport for tourism," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 99-105, December.
- Nordström, Jonas, 2002.
"Dynamic and Stochastic Structures in Tourism Demand Modelling,"
UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies
596, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Jonas Nordström, 2005. "Dynamic and stochastic structures in tourism demand modeling," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 379-392, 09.
- Muhammad Chaudhary & Amitrajeet Batabyal, 2009. "A stochastic analysis of alternate ways of scheduling transport for tourists," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 67-75, October.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:4:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.