MACROECONOMIC ADJUSTMENT IN PAKISTAN [1981-2004]: An EVALUATION
AbstractThe empirical evidence indicates that the overall macro impact of the adjustment programme was not adverse. Investment, government expenditure, absorption exports, imports, terms of trade and money supply had a significant deviation during the years 1991-2004. Exchange rate has been depreciating but the rate of depreciation is not significant. Debt servicing, external debt and debt servicing ratio to export earnings have followed an uneven trend mostly due to macroeconomic imbalances. Today Pakistan’s economy is more moderate and reformed than it was two decades ago, of course with certain adverse impacts of structural adjustment programme.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Applied Econometrics and International Development.
Volume (Year): 7 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faiz Bilquees, 2003. "An Analysis of Budget Deficits, Debt Accumulation, and Debt Instability," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(3), pages 177-195.
- Kaiser Bengali & Qazi Masood Ahmed, 2001. "Stabilisation Policy vs. Growth-oriented Policy: Implication for the Pakistan Economy," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 40(4), pages 453-466.
- Behrman, Jere R & Deolalikar, Anil B, 1991. "The Poor and the Social Sectors during a Period of Macroeconomic Adjustment: Empirical Evidence for Jamaica," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 291-313, May.
- A.R. Kemal, 1994. "Structural Adjustment, Employment, Income Distribution and Poverty," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 33(4), pages 901-914.
- Khadija Ali, 2003. "Gender Exploitation: from Structural Adjustment Policies to Poverty Reduction Strategies," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 669-694.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.