Bias Reduction In Nonparametric Diffusion Coefficient Estimation
AbstractIn this paper, we quantify the asymptotic bias of the Florens-Zmirou (1993, Journal of Applied Probability 30, 790 804) and Jiang and Knight (1997, Econometric Theory 13, 615 645) estimator for the diffusion coefficient when the step of discretization is fixed, and then we propose a bias adjustment that partially compensates for the distortion. Also, we show that our estimators have all the asymptotic properties of the Florens-Zmirou and Jiang and Knight estimator when the step of discretization goes to zero. We provide some examples.I thank the editor Peter C.B. Phillips and the two referees for comments and suggestions that led to considerable improvement of the paper. I am also grateful to Carlos Braumann and Tom Kundert for helpful comments. This research was supported by the Funda o para a Ci ncia e a Tecnologia (FCT) and by POCTI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 19 (2003)
Issue (Month): 05 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2010.
"Semi-Nonparametric Estimation and Misspecification Testing of Diffusion Models,"
10-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Kristensen, Dennis, 2011. "Semi-nonparametric estimation and misspecification testing of diffusion models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 382-403, October.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2010. "Semi-Nonparametric Estimation and Misspecification Testing of Diffusion Models," CREATES Research Papers 2010-43, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Gao, Jiti & Casas, Isabel, 2008.
"Specification testing in discretized diffusion models: Theory and practice,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 131-140, November.
- Gao, Jiti & Casas, Isabel, 2006. "Specification testing in discretized diffusion models: Theory and practice," MPRA Paper 11980, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2007.
- Arapis, Manuel & Gao, Jiti, 2004.
"Empirical comparisons in short-term interest rate models using nonparametric methods,"
11974, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Dec 2005.
- Manuel Arapis & Jiti Gao, 2006. "Empirical Comparisons in Short-Term Interest Rate Models Using Nonparametric Methods," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(2), pages 310-345.
- Xu, Ke-Li, 2009. "Empirical likelihood-based inference for nonparametric recurrent diffusions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 65-82, November.
- Yamamura, Mariko & Shoji, Isao, 2010. "A nonparametric method of multi-step ahead forecasting in diffusion processes," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(12), pages 2408-2415.
- Fuchun Li, 2005. "Testing the Parametric Specification of the Diffusion Function in a Diffusion Process," Working Papers 05-35, Bank of Canada.
- Gao, Jiti, 2007. "Nonlinear time series: semiparametric and nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 39563, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2007.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Masayuki Hirukawa, 2008. "Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Processes of Interest Rates Using Asymmetric Kernels," Working Papers 08011, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2008.
- Xu, Ke-Li, 2010. "Reweighted Functional Estimation Of Diffusion Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 541-563, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.