Optimization model for integrated municipal solid waste management in Mumbai, India
AbstractMumbai, the largest metropolitan city in India, generated 6,256 tons of waste per day in 2001. It is the responsibility of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) to provide Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) management services; however, the MCGM is not able to handle the increasing quantity of waste. As a result, waste litters all over the place giving rise to health and environmental problems. Hence, there is a need to involve private sector and community participation in waste management. In this paper, a linear programming model is developed to integrate different options and stakeholders involved in MSW management in Mumbai. Various economic and environmental costs associated with MSW management are taken into consideration while developing the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Environment and Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2007)
Issue (Month): 01 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_EDEProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Chang-Chih & Shyu, So-De & Wu, Yen-Chun & Yang, Chih-Yuan, 2011. "A waste management model for optimal recycling-landfilling policies under macroeconomic conditions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 852-858, May.
- Rode, Sanjay, 2011. "Public private partnership in solid waste management in municipal corporations of Mumbai metropolitan region," MPRA Paper 34530, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 03 Nov 2011.
- Sanjay RODE, 2011. "Public Private Partnership In Solid Waste Management In Municipal Corporations Of Mumbai Metropolitan," Management Research and Practice, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 3(4), pages 23-38, December.
- Naeem Ur Rehman Khattak & Suleman Amin, 2013. "Willingness to Pay For the Treatment of Environmental Hazards: A Case Study of Peshawar," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(7), pages 831-842, July.
- Roper, Stuart & Parker, Cathy, 2013. "Doing well by doing good: A quantitative investigation of the litter effect," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 66(11), pages 2262-2268.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.