Walras and Cournot’s mathematical method: comparison and discord challenge
AbstractThis article contributes to the explanation of the methodological differences between Cournot and Walras when these authors apply mathematics to economics. Our article explains the reasons behind Cournot’s refusal when Walras required him to write an article, which advocates the application of mathematical method in economics. We indicate then why Cournot remains in favour of mathematical method even after the publication of Principles in 1863. We show then that Cournot refers to specific way of considering mathematics in economics. This way differs from the Walras’ one in several aspects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by L'Harmattan in its journal Cahiers d'économie Politique.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 60 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cahiersdecopo.fr/fr/
Postal: 142 rue du faubourg Saint-Martin. 75010 Paris, France.
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B13 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Neoclassical through 1925 (Austrian, Marshallian, Walrasian, Stockholm School)
- B30 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - General
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- B40 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - General
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Andrés Vasco Correa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.