Tariffs, Capital Controls, and Equilibrium Real Exchange Rates
AbstractA general equilibrium intertemporal model with optimizing consumers and producers is developed to analyze how the equilibrium real exchange rate reacts to changes in the degree of restrictions to intra- and intertemporal trade. In particular, the effects of changes in the level of import tariffs and of changes in taxes on foreign borrowing on the path of equilibrium real exchange rates are investigated. In the case of import tariffs, both temporary and anticipated changes are considered. It is shown that in this intertemporal framework equilibrium, real exchange rates can exhibit interesting and convoluted behavior. In particular, results that contradict the traditional wisdom can be obtained. A number of extensions are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jamal BOUOIYOUR & Oscar KUIKEU, 2012.
"Pertinence de la dévaluation du Franc CFA de janvier 1994 : une évaluation par le taux de change réel d'équilibre. Cas de l'économie camerounaise,"
2011-2012_11, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Jul 2012.
- Bouoiyour, jamal & Kuikeu, Oscar, 2007.
"Pertinence de la dévaluation du Franc CFA de janvier 1994 : Une évaluation par le taux de change réel d’équilibre. Cas de l’économie camerounaise
[Relevance of the CFA France devaluation i," MPRA Paper 31357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouoiyour, jamal & Kuikeu, Oscar, 2007. "Pertinence de la dévaluation du Franc CFA de janvier 1994 : Une évaluation par le taux de change réel d’équilibre. Cas de l’économie camerounaise
- Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere & Renee van Eyden & Francis Kemegue, 2011.
"Remittances And The Dutch Disease In Sub-Saharan Africa: A Dynamic Panel Approach,"
201129, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Francis M. Kemegue & ReneÃ© van Eyden & Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere, 2011. "Remittances and the Dutch disease in Sub-Saharan Africa. A Dynamic Panel Approach," Working Papers 259, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Saravelos, George, 2012.
"Can leading indicators assess country vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008–09 global financial crisis,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 216-231.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Saravelo, George, 2011. "Can Leading Indicators Assess Country Vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008-09 Global Financial Crisis," Scholarly Articles 5027952, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Saravelos, George, 2011. "Can Leading Indicators Assess Country Vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008-09 Global Financial Crisis," Working Paper Series rwp11-024, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Megumi Kubota, . "Real Exchange Rate Misalignments: Theoretical Modelling and Empirical Evidence," Discussion Papers 09/24, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Ndlela, Thandinkosi, 2010. "Implications of real exchange rate misalignment in developing countries: theory, empirical evidence and application to growth performance in Zimbabwe," MPRA Paper 32710, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shinji Takagi, 2010. "Applying the Lessons of Asia: The IMFâ€™s Crisis Management Strategy in 2008," Working Papers id:3006, eSocialSciences.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan & Reza Y. Siregar, 2007.
"Models of Equilibrium Real Exchange Rates Revisited: A Selective Review of the Literature,"
- Reza Siregar & Ramkishen Rajan, 2006. "Models of Equilibrium Real Exchange Rates Revisited: A Selective Review of the Literature," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2006-04, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Ndlela, Thandinkosi, 2011. "Evolution of Zimbabwe’s economic tragedy: a chronological review of macroeconomic policies and transition to the economic crisis," MPRA Paper 32703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kuikeu, Oscar, 2011.
"Comment la dernière crise financière a relancé le débat relatif à l'arrimage du fcfa à l'euro
[How the recent financial crisis have revived the debate on the parity between fcfa and euro]," MPRA Paper 32077, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.