The Impact of UK Privatisation on Labour and Total Factor Productivity
AbstractPrivatization programs have been introduced in a number of countries in the last decade with a view to improving the economic performance of state-owned industries. Yet empirical studies of public versus private ownership have produced mixed results. This study is concerned with assessing the impact on labor and total factor productivity of eleven major privatizations in the United Kingdom in the 1980s. The study is unique in identifying performance changes in the run-up to privatization, including the recession period since 1989, and in relating changes in performance to productivity changes in the economy, thus controlling for the effect of the business cycle on performance. Copyright 1995 by Scottish Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Scottish Economic Society in its journal Scottish Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 42 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tiemann, Oliver & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2011.
"Changes in hospital efficiency after privatization,"
hche Research Papers
2011/02, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Oliver Tiemann & Jonas Schreyögg, 2012. "Changes in hospital efficiency after privatization," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 310-326, December.
- Tiemann, Oliver & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2011. "Changes in hospital efficiency after privatization," hche Research Papers 2011/02, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- John H. Pencavel, 2004.
"The Surprising Retreat of Union Britain,"
in: Seeking a Premier Economy: The Economic Effects of British Economic Reforms, 1980-2000, pages 181-232
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabrizio Erbetta, 2001. "Technology Transfer: Spatial Indicators," CERIS Working Paper 200111, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Bozec, Yves & Laurin, Claude, 2000. "L’impact de l’annonce de la privatisation sur la performance," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 76(2), pages 265-298, juin.
- Massón-Guerra, José Luis, 2007.
"Evolución de la Eficiencia Productiva de una empresa privatizada: El Caso del Grupo Telefónica de España
[Productive Efficiency in Telefonica]," MPRA Paper 13463, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Willner, Johan & Parker, David, 2002. "The Relative Performance of Public and Private Enterprise Under Conditions of Active and Passive Ownership," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30591, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Fallahi, Firouz & Sakineh, Sojoodi & Mehin Aslaninia, Nasim, 2010. "Determinants of Labor Productivity in Iran’s Manufacturing Firms: With Emphasis on Labor Education and Training," MPRA Paper 27447, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jorge Pinilla & Joaquim Vergés, 2007. "Efectos De La Privatización En La Eficiencia De Iberia Líneas Aéreas De España S.A," Revista Economía y Administración, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Administrativas, Universidad de Concepción, vol. 69, pages 7-38, December.
- Bertero, Elisabetta & Rondi, Laura, 2002. "Hardening a Soft Budget Constraint Through 'Upward Devolution' to a Supranational Institution: The Case of Italian State-Owned Firms and the European Union," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.