External Takeovers in Scottish Manufacturing: The Effect on Local Linkages and Corporate Functions
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of the external takeover of Scottish manufacturing companies during the period 1965 to 1980. The importance of linkage -and function effects for the performance of the regional economy is highlighted. Using survey data obtained from a detailed study of twenty-five acquired companies, the net changes in linkages and functions are identified and discriminant analysis is applied to determine whether the change is associated with the particular characteristics of the takeovers. The loss of functions and linkages is found to be associated with the particular characteristics of the acquisitions, especially poor preacquisition performance and horizontal takeover. Copyright 1988 by Scottish Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Scottish Economic Society in its journal Scottish Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 35 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Harvey W. Armstrong & Robert Read, 2002. "The phantom of liberty?: economic growth and the vulnerability of small states," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 435-458.
- Armstrong, Harvey & Read, Robert, 1995. "Western European micro-states and EU autonomous regions: The advantages of size and sovereignty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1229-1245, July.
- Andy Cosh & Alan Hughes, 1996. "International merger activity and the national regulation of mergers: A UK perspective," Empirica, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 279-302, October.
- H Armstrong, R de Kervenoael, Xiao-Ming Li and R Read, .
"A Comparision of the economic performance of different micro-states and between micro-states and larger countries,"
ec9/97, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Armstrong, H. & De Kervenoael, R. J. & Li, X. & Read, R., 1998. "A comparison of the economic performance of different micro-states, and between micro-states and larger countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 639-656, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.