Shift-Share Analysis of Regional Growth and Policy: A Critique
AbstractThis paper attempts to identify the circumstances in which the shift-share technique will successfully achieve the claims commonly made on its behalf. It is suggested that these circumstances are restrictive given the relevant economic theory. These problems seem to be especially severe when the technique is used in order to analyze the impact of regional policy. The empirical results that are presented suggest that these problems are likely to be important in practice, as well as in principle. Copyright 1989 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 51 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blien, Uwe & Tassinopoulos, Alexandros, 1999.
"Forecasting Regional Employment with the ENTROP Method,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa99pa344, European Regional Science Association.
- Uwe Blien & Alexandros Tassinopoulos, 2001. "Forecasting Regional Employment with the ENTROP Method," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 113-124.
- Thomas de Graaff & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Peter Nijkamp & Aura Reggiani, 1998. "Diagnostic Tools for Nonlinearity in Spatial Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-072/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Willem Johannes Maria Heijman & Cornelis Martijn Van der Heide & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Marc E. Loman, 1998. "Regional Economic growth and accessibility: The case of the Netherlands," ERSA conference papers ersa98p436, European Regional Science Association.
- Charles Ian Mead, 2001. "State user costs of capital," Working Papers 01-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Selting, Anne C. & Loveridge, Scott, 1992. "A Summary Of The Literature On Shift-Share Analysis," Staff Papers 14086, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2098072 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.