Investment and Arbitrage Opportunities with Short Sales Constraints
AbstractIn this paper we consider a family of investment projects defined by their deterministic cash flows. We assume stationarity-that is, projects available today are the same as those available in the past. In this framework, we prove that the absence of arbitrage opportunities is equivalent to the existence of a discount rate such that the net present value of all projects is nonpositive if the projects cannot be sold short and is equal to zero otherwise. Our result allows for an infinite number of projects and for continuous as well as discrete cash flows, generalizing similar results established by Cantor and Lippman (1983, 1995) and Adler and Gale (1997) in a discrete time framework and for a finite number of projects. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Inc 1998.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 8 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0960-1627
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David M. Schizer & Michael R. Powers & Martin Shubik, 2003.
"Market Bubbles and Wasteful Avoidance: Tax and Regulatory Constraints on Short Sales,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm356, Yale School of Management.
- Michael R. Powers & David M. Schizer & Martin Shubik, 2003. "Market Bubbles and Wasteful Avoidance: Tax and Regulatory Constraints on Short Sales," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1413, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Napp, Clotilde, 2001. "Pricing issues with investment flows Applications to market models with frictions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 383-408, June.
- Jouini, Elyes, 2001.
"Arbitrage and control problems in finance: A presentation,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 167-183, April.
- Elyès Jouini, 2001. "Arbitrage and Control Problems in Finance. Presentation," Post-Print halshs-00167152, HAL.
- Jouini, Elyès, 2001. "Arbitrage and control problems in finance: A presentation," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5590, Paris Dauphine University.
- Elyès Jouini, 2003.
"Market imperfections , equilibrium and arbitrage,"
- Alet Roux, 2007. "The fundamental theorem of asset pricing under proportional transaction costs," Papers 0710.2758, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.