Real Interest Rates And Real Exchange Rates: Evidence From Indexed Bonds
AbstractUncovered interest parity has found little empirical support at short horizons.Subtracting expected inflation differentials from both sides of the uncovered interestparity relationship implies a similar relationship between real interest rate differentials and expected real exchange rate movements. Previous empirical work that has attemptedto test for this relationship has found little empirical support. Using measures of real interest rates derived from indexed bonds, we find that real exchange ratesmove in the direction predicted by real interest rate differentials, and that previousnegative results are probably attributable to errors in estimating inflation expectations. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd and The Victoria University of Manchester 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Manchester in its journal The Manchester School.
Volume (Year): 71 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manchester M13 9PL
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1463-6786
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Douglas Laxton & Michael Bleany, 1999. "Real Interest Rates and Real Exchange Rates : Evidence from Indexed Bonds," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 942, Society for Computational Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guy Meredith & Yue Ma, 2002. "The Forward Premium Puzzle Revisited," IMF Working Papers 02/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Roll, Richard & Xia, Yihong, 2003.
"Extracting Inflation from Stock Returns to Test Purchasing Power Parity,"
03-1, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Bhagwan Chowdhry & Richard Roll & Yihong Xia, 2005. "Extracting Inflation from Stock Returns to Test Purchasing Power Parity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 255-276, March.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Roll, Richard & Xia, Yihong, 2004. "Extracting Inflation from Stock Returns to Test Purchasing Power Parity," Working Papers 04-2, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Papa M'B. P. N'Diaye & Douglas Laxton, 2002. "Monetary Policy Credibility and the Unemployment-Inflation Tradeoff," IMF Working Papers 02/220, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.