Path Dependence or Path Creation?
AbstractWe discuss the assumptions that underlie path dependence, as defined by Vergne and Durand, and then provide the outlines of an alternative perspective which we label as path creation. Path creation entertains a notion of agency that is distributed and emergent through relational processes that constitute phenomena. Viewed from this perspective, 'initial conditions' are not given, 'contingencies' are emergent contexts for action, 'self-reinforcing mechanisms' are strategically manipulated, and 'lock-in' is but a temporary stabilization of paths in-the-making. We develop these points using a narrative approach and highlight the theoretical and methodological implications of our perspective. Copyright (c) 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation (c) 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd and Society for the Advancement of Management Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Management Studies.
Volume (Year): 47 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2380
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pandza, Krsto & Ellwood, Paul, 2013. "Strategic and ethical foundations for responsible innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 1112-1125.
- Martin Henning & Erik Stam & Rik Wenting, 2013.
"Path Dependence Research in Regional Economic Development: Cacophony or Knowledge Accumulation?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(8), pages 1348-1362, September.
- Martin Henning & Erik Stam & Rik Wenting, 2012. "Path dependence research in regional economic development: Cacophony or knowledge accumulation?," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1219, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Oct 2012.
- Adrian Smith & Rob P.J.M. Raven, 2011. "What is protective space? Reconsidering niches in transitions to sustainability," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 11-05, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS), revised Aug 2011.
- Smith, Adrian & Raven, Rob, 2012. "What is protective space? Reconsidering niches in transitions to sustainability," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1025-1036.
- Chae, Bongsug (Kevin), 2012. "An evolutionary framework for service innovation: Insights of complexity theory for service science," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 813-822.
- Garud, Raghu & Gehman, Joel, 2012. "Metatheoretical perspectives on sustainability journeys: Evolutionary, relational and durational," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 980-995.
- René Bohnsack & Jonatan Pinkse & Ans Kolk, 2014. "Business models for sustainable technologies: Exploring business model evolution in the case of electric vehicles," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00936886, HAL.
- Neil M Kay, 2013. "QWERTY and the search for optimality," Working Papers 1324, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Neil Kay, 2013. "Lock-in, path dependence, and the internationalization of QWERTY," Working Papers 1310, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- GianPaolo Abatecola, 2012. "Path Dependent Entrepreneurs? A Decision Making Perspective," DSI Essays Series, DSI - Dipartimento di Studi sull'Impresa, vol. 24.
- Alessia Berni & Mariavittoria Cicellin & Stefano Consiglio & Luigi Moschera, 2012. "The evolution of the Italian Temporary Work Agency field: A path dependence perspective," Discussion Papers 10_2012, CRISEI, University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Jørgensen, Ulrik, 2012. "Mapping and navigating transitions—The multi-level perspective compared with arenas of development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 996-1010.
- Suyash Jolly & Rob Raven, 2013. "Collective institutional entrepreneurship and contestations in wind energy in India," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 13-10, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS), revised Nov 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.