Price Premia to Name Brands: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractThis paper examines the factors affecting prices in the North America banana market. There are substantial price differences between brand-name and 'generic' companies, and among branded companies. Key questions are what causes these price differences, how are they related to the brand names of leading companies, and what role does quality play. Investigation reveals numerous potential differences, including important quality dimensions such as method of shipment and sourcing, as well as differences in brand-name recognition. The econometric analysis shows that objective quality characteristics explain the bulk of price variation and that subjective factors like brand names explain little price variation. Copyright 1996 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wipo, 2013. "World Intellectual Property Report 2013 - Brands: Reputation and Image in the Global Marketplace," WIPO Economics & Statistics Series, World Intellectual Property Organization - Economics and Statistics Division, number 2013:944, June.
- Catherine A. Durham & Esteban Vega-Hidalgo, 2006. "Technical assistance and trade servicing to increase overseas demand for grass seed," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 281-295.
- MANEZ, Juan A. & MONER-COLONQUES, Rafael & SEMPERE-MONERRIS, José J. & URBANO, Amparo, 2011. "Price differentials among brands in retail distribution: product quality and service quality," CORE Discussion Papers 2011017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paul H. Jensen & Elizabeth Webster, 2006. "Market Power, Brand Characteristics and Demand for Retail Grocery Products," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2006n05, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Basher, Syed Abul & Raboy, David G. & Kaitibie, Simeon & Hossain, Ishrat, 2012. "The economics of food security in Arab micro states: preliminary evidence from micro data," MPRA Paper 39357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Raboy, David G. & Basher, Syed Abul & Hossain, Ishrat & Kaitibie, Simeon, 2012. "More efficient production subsidies for emerging agriculture in micro Arab states: a conceptual model," MPRA Paper 38854, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Peter L. Rousseau, 2005.
"General Purpose Technologies,"
NBER Working Papers
11093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ying Kong, 2004. "The price premium of generic to brand-names and pharmaceutical price index," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(7), pages 731-737.
- Victor Tremblay & Stephen Polasky, 2002. "Advertising with Subjective Horizontal and Vertical Product Differentiation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 253-265, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.