Tradable Carbon Permits in Europe: Feasibility and Comparison with Taxes
AbstractIn the European Union (EU) the discussions on climate policy have focused on the instrument of taxation. However, there has been considerable opposition from both Member States and industry against the combined carbodenergy tax proposals. In this article, an alternative market-oriented instrument for controlling CO 2 emissions is discussed which overcomes some of the disadvantages of the tax: tradable emission permits. Special regard is given to the functional design and practical implementation of a system of tradable carbon permits for the European Union. Furthermore, tradable carbon permits are compared with a carbon tax. Copyright 1995 BPL.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Common Market Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-9886
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- A. Michaelowa, 1996. "Incentive Aspects of Joint Implementation of Greenhouse Gas Reduction," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 95-108, January.
- Simon Niemeyer, 1998. "Consumer-based carbon reduction incentives," Working Papers in Ecological Economics 9805, Australian National University, Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Ecological Economics Program.
- Evy Crals & Lode Vereeck, 2005. "Taxes, Tradable Rights and Transaction Costs," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 199-223, September.
- Brockmann, Karl Ludwig & Koschel, Henrike & Schmidt, Tobias F. N., 1998. "Tradable SO-2-permits in the European Union: a practicable scheme for public utilities," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-15, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pezzey, John C.V., 2001. "Distributing the Value of a Country’s Tradeable Carbon Permits," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 125832, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.