Covariance Stationarity of International Equity Markets Returns: Recent Evidence
AbstractIntertemporal stationarity tests of the variance-covariance matrix of monthly returns on seven international equity indices are conducted over the most recent period. Pairwise covariances are then decomposed into their component statistics for further examination of the source(s) of stationarity or nonstationarity. Historical analysis reveals that pairwise covariances were invariably highly nonstationary over forecast intervals that varied in length between one month and five years. Reliance on historical covariances to estimate future covariances over a hold-out sample produced suboptimal results in comparison to an alternative naive forecasting model. These findings were robust in that they were invariant to whether nominal or real returns were used. Evidence on the intertemporal stationarity of the vector of mean returns is also provided. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Finance Association in its journal The Financial Review.
Volume (Year): 28 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kearney, Colm & Lucey, Brian M., 2004. "International equity market integration: Theory, evidence and implications," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 571-583.
- Tang, Gordon Y. N., 1996. "Intervalling Effect on Intertemporal Stability among Asian Emerging Markets and Developed Markets," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 257-265, July.
- M. Barari & Brian Lucey & S. Voronkova, 2008. "Reassessing co-movements among G7 equity markets: evidence from iShares," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(11), pages 863-877.
- Vo, Xuan Vinh, 2009. "International financial integration in Asian bond markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 90-106, January.
- Bracker, Kevin & Koch, Paul D., 1999. "Economic determinants of the correlation structure across international equity markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 443-471.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.