Industrialization and spatial income inequality in rural China, 1986-92
AbstractRural industrialization has been a dominant factor responsible for China's rapid economic growth over the last 18 years, but it has been accompanied by increased inter-regional income inequality. Using the most recent rural income data and two alternative Gini coefficient decomposition methods, this study finds that income inequality, especially inter-regional income inequality increased significantly in the period 1986-92. More than half of national income inequality was due to its inter-provincial component, and three quarters of inter-provincial inequality was due to its inter-zonal component. Uneven development of township and village enterprises has been a major cause of increased regional income inequality. Copyright The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 1997.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in its journal Economics of Transition.
Volume (Year): 5 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0967-0750
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- James Alm & Yongzheng Liu, 2014.
"China's Tax-for-Fee Reform and Village Inequality,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 38-64, March.
- Guanghua Wan & Zhangyue Zhou, 2005.
"Income Inequality in Rural China: Regression-based Decomposition Using Household Data,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 107-120, 02.
- Wan, Guanghua & Zhou, Zhangyue, 2004. "Income Inequality in Rural China: Regression-based Decomposition Using Household Data," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Li, Yuheng, 2012. "Rural Household Income in China: Spatial-Temporal Disparity and Its Interpretation," Working Paper Series 2012-21, China Economic Research Center, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Tsun Se Cheong & Yanrui Wu, 2013. "Globalization and Regional Inequality," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 13-10, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.