Alternative Internal Controls as Substitutes of the Board of Directors
AbstractEmpirical literature on corporate governance often assumes independence among different control mechanisms. However, different studies in the Anglo-Saxon context find that control mechanisms are interrelated. The Spanish corporate governance system, unlike the Anglo-Saxon one, is characterised by the dominance of internal controls, mainly the stock ownership concentration and the board of directors. In this internal control context, we specifically analyse the possible substitution of the supervisory potential of the board outsiders by the incentive effects derived from managerial stock ownership and the supervisory role of large shareholders. Our main results show a negative relationship between the proportion of outside directors and managerial and large blockholders' ownership stake. These findings support the substitution among internal controls and suggest that Spanish firms form an efficient conglomerate of managerial controls, in which deficiencies in a single mechanism can be compensated by the action of an alternative one. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Corporate Governance: An International Review.
Volume (Year): 13 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0964-8410&site=1
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pascal Dumontier & Sonda Chtourou & Soumaya Ayedi, 2006. "La qualité de l'audit externe et les mécanismes de gouvernance des entreprises : Une étude empirique menée dans le contexte tunisien," Post-Print halshs-00548115, HAL.
- Isabel-María García Sánchez & Luis Rodríguez Domínguez & Isabel Gallego Álvarez, 2011. "Corporate governance and strategic information on the internet: A study of Spanish listed companies," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(4), pages 471-501, May.
- Din, Shahab-u- & Javid, Attiya Yasmin, 2011. "Impact of managerial ownership on financial policies and the firm’s performance: evidence Pakistani manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 37560, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luis Rodriguez-Dominguez & Isabel Gallego-Alvarez & Isabel Garcia-Sanchez, 2009. "Corporate Governance and Codes of Ethics," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(2), pages 187-202, December.
- Wafa Hili & Habib Affes, 2013. "Diversite En Genre Dans Les Conseils D'Administration Et Persistance Des Benefices Comptables : Investigation Empirique Dans Le Contexte Franҫais," Post-Print hal-00991930, HAL.
- Attiya Y. Javid & Robina Iqbal, 2010.
"Corporate Governance in Pakistan : Corporate Valuation, Ownership and Financing,"
Governance Working Papers
22830, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Attiya Y. Javid & Robina Iqbal, 2010. "Corporate Governance in Pakistan: Corporate Valuation, Ownership and Financing," PIDE-Working Papers 2010:57, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.