Analyse des liens entre les départs de dirigeants suite à une mauvaise performance et la création de valeur: une étude menée en France
Abstract(VF)L'objectif de l'article est de tester sur une période récente si les changements de dirigeants, suite à une mauvaise performance en France, ont permis aux firmes un retour à de meilleurs résultats. L'étude empirique, menée sur un échantillon de 160 sociétés cotées à Paris ayant changé de dirigeant entre 1996 et 2004, confirme un effet positif sur la création de valeur des départs de dirigeants dans ce contexte si le successeur est un externe, ou si la firme est contrôlée. La réflexion doit être prolongée pour mieux comprendre sous quelles conditions ces départs permettent un retour à de meilleurs résultats.(VA)This article examines the value creation related to CEO departures in the context of poor performing French corporations. The empirical tests conducted on a sample of 160 firms listed on the Paris stock exchange whose CEOs were replaced between 1996 and 2004 give evidence of the positive effect of these departures on firm performance when the successor is an outsider or when firms are controlled. Additional factors should ultimately be analyzed to better understand in which cases CEO departures in the context of poor performance involve value creation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by revues.org in its journal Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.revues.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weisbach, Michael S., 1988. "Outside directors and CEO turnover," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 431-460, January.
- Marianne Bertrand & Antoinette Schoar, 2003.
"Managing With Style: The Effect Of Managers On Firm Policies,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1169-1208, November.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Schoar, Antoinette, 2003. "Managing With Style: The Effect of Managers on Firm Policies," Working papers 4280-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
NBER Working Papers
5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Bernadette Minton, 2006.
"How has CEO Turnover Changed? Increasingly Performance Sensitive Boards and Increasingly Uneasy CEOs,"
NBER Working Papers
12465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Minton, Bernadette A., 2006. "How Has CEO Turnover Changed? Increasingly Performance Sensitive Boards and Increasingly Uneasy CEOs," Working Paper Series 2006-7, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Gilson, Stuart C., 1989. "Management turnover and financial distress," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 241-262, December.
- Denis, David J. & Denis, Diane K. & Sarin, Atulya, 1997. "Ownership structure and top executive turnover," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 193-221, August.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2003. "The managerial labor market and the governance role of shareholder control structures in the UK," Discussion Paper 2003-013, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Warner, Jerold B. & Watts, Ross L. & Wruck, Karen H., 1988. "Stock prices and top management changes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 461-492, January.
- Mark R. Huson, 2001. "Internal Monitoring Mechanisms and CEO Turnover: A Long-Term Perspective," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2265-2297, December.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Dherment-Ferere, I. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2000. "Share Price Reactions to CEO Resignations and Large Shareholder Monitoring in Listed French Companies," Discussion Paper 2000-70, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Huson, Mark R. & Malatesta, Paul H. & Parrino, Robert, 2004. "Managerial succession and firm performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 237-275, November.
- Fee, C. Edward & Hadlock, Charles J., 2004. "Management turnover across the corporate hierarchy," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-38, February.
- Yermack, David, 2006.
"Golden handshakes: Separation pay for retired and dismissed CEOs,"
Journal of Accounting and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 237-256, September.
- Yermack, David, 2006. "Golden Handshakes: Separation Pay for Retired and Dismissed CEOs," SIFR Research Report Series 41, Institute for Financial Research.
- Furtado, Eugene P. H. & Rozeff, Michael S., 1987. "The wealth effects of company initiated management changes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 147-160, March.
- Denis, David J & Denis, Diane K, 1995. " Performance Changes Following Top Management Dismissals," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-57, September.
- Farrell, Kathleen A. & Whidbee, David A., 2003. "Impact of firm performance expectations on CEO turnover and replacement decisions," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-3), pages 165-196, December.
- Murphy, Kevin J. & Zimmerman, Jerold L., 1993. "Financial performance surrounding CEO turnover," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-3), pages 273-315, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gérard Charreaux).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.