Integer Pricing and Bertrand-Edgeworth Oligopoly with Strictly Convex Costs: Is It Worth More Than a Penny?
AbstractIn this paper we analyze the implications of integer pricing for Bertrand Edgeworth oligopoly with strictly convex costs. When price is a continuous variable, there is a generic non-existence of pure-strategy equilibrium. In the case of integer pricing, this is not so. We characterize a set of possible single price equilibria around the competitive price, which if non-empty will constitute the set of single price equilibria if the industry is large enough. Furthermore, we provide an example in which the highest equilibrium price can be arbitrarily far from the competitive price. Copyright 1993 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd and the Board of Trustees of the Bulletin of Economic Research
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Bulletin of Economic Research.
Volume (Year): 45 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0307-3378
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2007.
"Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibrium with a large number of firms,"
3353, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2008. "Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibrium with a large number of firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 746-761, May.
- Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2004. "Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibrium with a large number of firms," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 04-12, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Massimo A. De Francesco, 2008. "Existence of pure strategy equilibrium in Bertrand-Edgeworth games with imperfect divisibility of money," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(29), pages 1-8.
- De Francesco, Massimo A., 2008. "Existence of pure strategy equilibria in Bertrand-Edgeworth games with imperfect divisibility of money," MPRA Paper 10826, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdem Basci & Ismail Saðlam, 2001. "Bertrand-Edgeworth Equilibrium in a Cash-Advance Economy," Departmental Working Papers 0104, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2008:i:29:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.