Why do transaction costs of agricultural policies vary?
AbstractPolicy related transaction costs (TCs) is an important issue when evaluating different policy options. However, TCs are often not taken into account in policy evaluations, but may be as important for efficiency as the direct production costs. Different policies may result in different TCs, and the main aim of this article is to explore possible reasons for these differences. We compare the level of TCs for 12 different agricultural policy measures in Norway, and we analyze the causes of the differences along three different dimensions: asset specificity, frequency, and point of policy application. At the national level we find that all three dimensions are of importance when explaining the differences, while variation in TCs incurred by farmers are mainly due to differences in point of policy application and asset specificity. Data show that direct price support has the lowest TCs, while more direct payments for environmental amenities has the highest. Copyright 2007 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anne GASSIAT & Sylvain ROUSSET & FrâˆšÂ©dâˆšÂ©ric ZAHM, 2011. "Improving water quality with a territorial agro-environmental policy? Insights from the new generation AES in South-West France," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1569, European Regional Science Association.
- Jussi Lankoski & Erik Lichtenberg & Markku Ollikainen, 2010.
"Agri-Environmental Program Compliance in a Heterogeneous Landscape,"
Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 47(1), pages 1-22, September.
- Lankoski, Jussi E. & Lichtenberg, Erik & Ollikainen, Markku, 2008. "Agri-Environmental Program Compliance in a Heterogeneous Landscape," Working Papers, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics 37797, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Vatn, Arild, 2010. "An institutional analysis of payments for environmental services," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 1245-1252, April.
- Bertoni, Danilo & Olper, Alessandro, 2012. "The Political Economy Of Agri-Environmental Measures: An Empirical Assessment At The Eu Regional Level," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, AGRIMBA, vol. 6.
- Mettepenningen, Evy & Beckmann, Volker & Eggers, Jorg, 2008. "Public transaction cost of agri-environmental schemes and its determinants - Analysing stakeholders’ involvement and perceptions," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium, European Association of Agricultural Economists 44321, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hagedorn, Konrad & Beckmann, Volker, 2010. "Institutionen der Nachhaltigkeit â€“ Der Nobelpreis fÃ¼r Wirtschaft 2009 und seine Bedeutung fÃ¼r die AgrarÃ¶konomie," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 59(1).
- Coggan, Anthea & Whitten, Stuart M. & Bennett, Jeff, 2010. "Influences of transaction costs in environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 69(9), pages 1777-1784, July.
- Weber, Anja Michaela, 2011. "Why do Farmers Spend Different Amounts of Transaction Costs in Agri-Environmental Schemes?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland, European Association of Agricultural Economists 115738, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Schader, Christian & Sanders, Jurn & Offermann, Frank & Lampkin, Nicolas & Stolze, Matthias, 2008. "Cost-Effectiveness Evaluation of Swiss Agri-Environmental Measures on Sector Level," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain, European Association of Agricultural Economists 6604, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Coggan, Anthea & Buitelaar, Edwin & Whitten, Stuart & Bennett, Jeff, 2013. "Factors that influence transaction costs in development offsets: Who bears what and why?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 222-231.
- Johan F.M.Swinnen & Alessandro Olper & Thijs Vandemoortele, 2011. "The Political Economy of Policy Instrument Choice: Theory and Evidence from Agricultural Policies," LICOS Discussion Papers, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven 27911, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- McCann, Laura, 2013. "Transaction costs and environmental policy design," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 253-262.
- Weber, Anja Michaela & Nuppenau, Ernst-August, 2010. "Transaction costs in agri-environmental schemes: the principal-agent-point of view," 118th Seminar, August 25-27, 2010, Ljubljana, Slovenia, European Association of Agricultural Economists 94919, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Farley, Joshua & Costanza, Robert, 2010. "Payments for ecosystem services: From local to global," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 69(11), pages 2060-2068, September.
- Aude Ridier & Charilaos Kephaliacos & Francoise Carpy-Goulard, 2011. "Private transaction costs and environmental cross compliance in a crop region of Southwestern France," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 9(1/2), pages 68-79.
- Vogt, Nora & Bizer, Kilian, 2013. "Lock-in effects in competitive bidding schemes for payments for ecosystem services: Revisiting the fundamental transformation," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 158, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.