An analysis of contract farming in East Java, Bali, and Lombok, Indonesia
AbstractThis article examines the emergence and benefits of contract farming in East Java, Bali, and Lombok, Indonesia. After a general review of contract farming in these regions, three contracts, for seed corn in East Java, seed rice in Bali, and broilers in Lombok are described and analyzed using key informant interviews and household survey data. A review of the contracts suggest that there is a wide array of contract types and this is related to the technical requirements of production and the associated costs. Probit analysis is used to identify factors contributing to smallholder participation in farm contracts and a two-stage estimation process used to measure the effects of farm contracts on gross margins and labor use. Results indicate participation in contracts is influenced by farm size and other factors such as smallholder's age, education, and participation in farm groups. Contracts increased returns to capital for the seed corn and broiler contracts but not for the seed rice contract. All three contracts influenced the types of labor used; however, none of them influenced total farm employment. Copyright 2005 International Association of Agricultural Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2005)
Issue (Month): s3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miyata, Sachiko & Minot, Nicholas & Hu, Dinghuan, 2007.
"Impact of contract farming on income: Linking small farmers, packers, and supermarket in China,"
IFPRI discussion papers
742, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Miyata, Sachiko & Minot, Nicholas & Hu, Dinghuan, 2009. "Impact of Contract Farming on Income: Linking Small Farmers, Packers, and Supermarkets in China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1781-1790, November.
- Patrick, Ian & Marshall, Graham R. & Abdurrahman, Muktasam & Ambarawati, I Gusti Agung Ayu, 2006. "Determining the Role of Social Capital in Linking Smallholders with Agribusiness," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139890, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Peterman, Amber & Behrman, Julia & Quisumbing, Agnes, 2010. "A review of empirical evidence on gender differences in nonland agricultural inputs, technology, and services in developing countries," IFPRI discussion papers 975, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sáenz-Segura, Fernando & D'Haese, Marijke & Schipper, Robert A., 2010. "A seasonal model of contracts between a monopsonistic processor and smallholder pepper producers in Costa Rica," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 10-20, January.
- Kassie, Menale & Jaleta, Moti & Shiferaw, Bekele A. & Mmbando, Frank & Mekuria, Mulugetta, 2012. "Interdependence in Farmer Technology Adoption Decisions in Smallholder Systems: Joint Estimation of Investments in Sustainable Agricultural Practices in Rural Tanzania," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126791, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- LEFÈVRE, Mélanie & THARAKAN, Joe & ,, 2013.
"Intermediaries, transport costs and interlinked transactions,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2013055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lefèvre, Mélanie & Tharakan, Joe, 2011. "Intermediaries, transport costs and interlinked transactions," CEPR Discussion Papers 8615, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sudha Narayanan, 2012. "The Heterogeneous welfare impacts of participation in contract farming schemes: Evidence from Southern India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2012-019, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Wainaina, Priscilla W. & Okello, Julius Juma & Nzuma, Jonathan M., 2012. "Impact of Contract Farming on Smallholder Poultry Farmers’ Income in Kenya," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126323, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Suzuki, Aya & Jarvis, Lovell S. & Sexton, Richard J., 2011. "Partial Vertical Integration, Risk Shifting, and Product Rejection in the High-Value Export Supply Chain: The Ghana Pineapple Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1611-1623, September.
- Bellemare, Marc F., 2012.
"As You Sow, So Shall You Reap: The Welfare Impacts of Contract Farming,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1418-1434.
- Bellemare, Marc F., 2010. "As You Sow, So Shall You Reap: The Welfare Impacts of Contract Farming," MPRA Paper 27259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bellemare, Marc F., 2010. "As You Sow, So Shall You Reap: The Welfare Impacts of Contract Farming," MPRA Paper 23638, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, Elizaphan J.O. & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "The supermarket revolution and impacts on agricultural labor markets: Empirical evidence from Kenya," Discussion Papers 107745, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Kassie, Menale & Jaleta, Moti & Shiferaw, Bekele & Mmbando, Frank & Muricho, Geoffrey, 2012. "Plot and Household-Level Determinants of Sustainable Agricultural Practices in Rural Tanzania," Discussion Papers dp-12-02-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Wainaina, Priscilla W. & Okello, Julius Juma & Nzuma, Jonathan M., 2012. "Impact of Contract Farming on Smallholder Poultry Farmers' Income in Kenya," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126196, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ito, Junichi & Bao, Zongshun & Su, Qun, 2012. "Distributional effects of agricultural cooperatives in China: Exclusion of smallholders and potential gains on participation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 700-709.
- Narayanan, Sudha, 2014. "Profits from participation in high value agriculture: Evidence of heterogeneous benefits in contract farming schemes in Southern India," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 142-157.
- Schipmann, Christin & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Supply chain differentiation, contract agriculture, and farmers’ marketing preferences: the case of sweet pepper in Thailand," Discussion Papers 108349, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.