Application of Stein Rules to Combination Forecasting
AbstractThe authors propose some Stein-rule combination forecasting methods that are designed to ameliorate the estimation of risk inherent in making operational the variance-covariance method for constructing combination weights. By Monte Carlo simulation, it is shown that this amelioration can be substantial in many cases. Moreover, generalized Stein-rule combinations are proposed that offer the user the opportunity to enhance combination forecasting performance when shrinking the feasible variance-covariance weights toward a fortuitous shrinkage point. In an empirical exercise, the proposed Stein-rule combinations performed well relative to competing combination methods.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chan, Chi Kin & Kingsman, Brian G. & Wong, H., 1999. "The value of combining forecasts in inventory management - a case study in banking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 199-210, September.
- Eric Hillebrand & Tae-Hwy Lee, 2012. "Stein-Rule Estimation and Generalized Shrinkage Methods for Forecasting Using Many Predictors," CREATES Research Papers 2012-18, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Steven D. Levitt, 2003. "How Do Markets Function? An Empirical Analysis of Gambling on the National Football League," NBER Working Papers 9422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bunn, Derek W. & Vassilopoulos, Angelos I., 1999. "Comparison of seasonal estimation methods in multi-item short-term forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 431-443, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.