Large The Skill Loss of Older East Germans after Unification
AbstractThis paper documents and analyzes changes in relative wages of older East Germans after unification. In 1990, employees above 45 started out with very low wages relative to younger East Germans or West Germans in the same cohort. Results suggest that older employees lost up to 30 percent of their earnings because socialist work experience fully depreciated after the regime change. Older employees lost further in relative terms because they earned much lower returns to education and occupational skills than younger East Germans early in the transition.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Duncker & Humblot, Berlin in its journal Schmollers Jahrbuch.
Volume (Year): 125 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.duncker-humblot.de
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juan Carlos Martinez Oliva, 2009. "Riunificazione intertedesca e politiche per la convergenza," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 14, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Robert Orlowski & Regina T. Riphahn, 2008.
"The East German Wage Structure after Transition,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
148, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Robert Orlowski & Regina T. Riphahn, 2009. "The East German Wage Structure after Transition," Working Papers 073, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Robert Orlowski & Regina T. Riphahn, 2008. "The East German Wage Structure after Transition," CESifo Working Paper Series 2511, CESifo Group Munich.
- Orlowski, Robert & Riphahn, Regina T., 2008. "The East German Wage Structure after Transition," IZA Discussion Papers 3861, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert Orlowski & Regina T. Riphahn, 2009. "Im Osten nichts Neues – Lohnstrukturen knapp 20 Jahre nach dem Mauerfall," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 16(03), pages 24-27, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Freudenmann).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.