The Supply of Storage for Natural Gas in California
AbstractDo natural gas storage decisions in distant California respond to NYMEX futures price spreads? Daily data about flows into and out of storage facilities in California over 2002-2006 and daily spreads on NYMEX are used to investigate whether the net injection profile is consistent with the supply-of-storage curve first observed by Working for wheat. Storage decisions in California do seem to be influenced by a price signal that combines the intertemporal spread and the locational basis between California and the Henry Hub, in addition to strong seasonal and weekly cycles that determine net injections to a considerable extent. The timing and magnitude of the price response differ across storage facilities. Regulatory requirements and operational constraints also limit the response to short-lived arbitrage opportunities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Energy Economics in its journal The Energy Journal.
Volume (Year): Volume 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): Number 3 ()
Other versions of this item:
- Uria, Rocio & Williams, Jeffrey C., 2005. "The "supply-of-storage" for natural gas in California," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19288, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- F0 - International Economics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chaton, Corinne & Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2008.
"Some Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage,"
11984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- CHATON Corinne & CRETI Anna & VILLENEUVE Bertrand, 2006.
"The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage,"
LERNA Working Papers
06.01.194, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Corinne Chaton & Anna Creti & Bertrand Villeneuve, 2005. "The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage," Working Papers 2005-52, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Creti, Anna & Chaton, Corinne, 2005. "The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11515, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Williams).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.