Single Factor Heath-Jarrow-Morton Term Structure Models Based on Markov Spot Interest Rate Dynamics
AbstractThis paper considers the class of Heath-Jarrow-Morton term structure models where the spot interest rate is Markov and the term structure at time t is a function of time, maturity and the spot interest rate at time t. A representation for this class of models is derived and I show that the functional forms of the forward rate volatility structure and the initial forward rate curve cannot be arbitrarily chosen. I provide necessary and sufficient conditions indicating which combinations of these functional forms are allowable. I also derive a partial differential equation representation of the term structure dynamics which does not require explicit modeling of both the market price of risk and the drift term for the spot interest rate process. Using the analysis presented in this paper a class of intertemporal term structure models is derived.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale School of Management in its series Yale School of Management Working Papers with number ysm46.
Date of creation: 13 Dec 1995
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mari, Carlo & Reno, Roberto, 2005. "Credit risk analysis of mortgage loans: An application to the Italian market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 163(1), pages 83-93, May.
- Björk, Tomas & Landén, Camilla & Svensson, Lars, 2002. "Finite dimensional Markovian realizations for stochastic volatility forward rate models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 498, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 06 May 2002.
- Dai, Qiang & Singleton, Kenneth J., 2003. "Fixed-income pricing," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 20, pages 1207-1246 Elsevier.
- Björk, Tomas & Blix, Magnus & Landen, Camilla, 2005. "On finite dimensional realizations for the term structure of futures prices," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 620, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Duffie, Darrell, 2003. "Intertemporal asset pricing theory," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 639-742 Elsevier.
- Björk, Tomas & Landen, Camilla, 2000. "On the construction of finite dimensional realizations for nonlinear forward rate models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 420, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Christina Nikitopoulos-Sklibosios, 2005. "A Class of Markovian Models for the Term Structure of Interest Rates Under Jump-Diffusions," PhD Thesis, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney, number 6, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.