The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model
AbstractWe derive the information matrix test, suggested by White (1982), for the normal fixed regressor linear model, and show that the statistic decomposes asymptotically into the sum of three independent quadratic forms. One of these is White's (1980) general test for heteroscedasticity and the remaining two components are quadratic forms in the third and forth powers of the residuals respectively. Our results show that the test will fail to detect serial correlation and never be asympotically optimal against heteroscedasticity, skewness and non-normal kurtosis. The information matrix test is contrasted with the test procedures of Bera and Jarque (1983) and Godfrey and Wickens (1982), who construct a composite statistic form asymptotically optimal and independent tests against particular alternatives. Our results suggest that this alternative strategy is likely to be a more fruitful source of a general regression diagnostic.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Warwick, Department of Economics in its series The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) with number 250.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 1984
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Claudia Pigini, 2013. "A test for bivariate normality with applications in microeconometric models," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 535-572, November.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1994.
"Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests,"
903, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1998. "Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Dhaene, Geert & Hoorelbeke, Dirk, 2004.
"The information matrix test with bootstrap-based covariance matrix estimation,"
Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 341-347, March.
- Geert Dhaene & Dirk Hoorelbeke, 2002. "The Information Matrix Test with Bootstrap-Based Covariance Matrix Estimation," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0211, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Dirk Hoorelbeke, 2004. "Bootstrap correcting the score test," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 228, Econometric Society.
- Joachim Zietz, 2006.
"Detecting neglected parameter heterogeneity with Chow tests,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 369-374.
- Joachim Zietz, 2005. "Detecting Neglected Parameter Heterogeneity with Chow Tests," Working Papers 200503, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Joachim Zietz & Bobby Newsome, 2001. "A Note on Buyer's Agent Commision and Sales Price," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 21(3), pages 245-254.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1987.
"Testing for Consistency using Artificial Regressions,"
687, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1989. "Testing for Consistency using Artificial Regressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(03), pages 363-384, December.
- Andreas Georgiadis & Christos N. Pitelis, 2008. "HRM practices and knowledge processes outcomes: empirical evidence from a quasi-experiment on UK SMEs in the tourism hospitality and leisure sector," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19636, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Riccardo LUCCHETTI & Claudia PIGINI, 2011. "Conditional Moment Tests for Normality in Bivariate Limited Dependent Variable Models: a Monte Carlo Study," Working Papers 357, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1984. "A Simulation Study on FIML Covariance Matrix," MPRA Paper 28804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Neal).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.