FHA Has Achieved Its Home Mortgage Capital Reserve Target, Technical Appendix
AbstractCongress asked GAO to estimate the value of FHA's Mutual Mortgage Insurance Fund, a capital reserve which backs most of FHA's single- family mortgages. This technical appendix presents estimates of the claim and non-claim termination propensities of single-family FHA mortgages. Competing risks continuous time hazard models are estimated on random samples of FHA mortgages originated between 1975 and 1993. Quarterly termination probabilities are estimated as a function of a variety of time- varying independent variables, and unobserved heterogeneity is controlled for with the Heckman-Singer non-parametric maximum- likelihood technique. The predicted signs are found on the usual suspects - equity, measured at the state level, lowers claims, while low relative interest rates foster prepayment. Substantial heterogeneity is found among individual borrowers, with 6% of borrowers estimated to have extremely low termination probabilities. Finally, the regressions provide evidence of adverse selection at time of prepayment. Borrowers who pass up profitable refinancing opportunities experience elevated claim rates in future quarters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Urban/Regional with number 9602001.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 15 Feb 1996
Date of revision:
Note: 28 pages in WordPerfect 5.1 format The full report should be available in Adobe Acrobat format from GAO (http://www.gao.gov) in late March of '96. Related GAO products include RCED 95 20 (FHA) and RCED 93 173 (VA).
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- R2 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.