Criteria to Evaluate Voting Indicators and a Recipe for a New One
AbstractThis paper is made up of two interrelated parts. Part I contains a critical evaluation of the so called StemWijzer 2002, an internet application that helped and advised voters which political party to choose at the Dutch, German and Suisse parliamentary elections. Applying some validity tests and checking the discriminatory power, it is argued that the StemWijzer 2002 is seriously flawed. Part II is devoted to designing an interactive voting indicator, where the propositions to be evaluated by the voter depends on his responses to other propositions at an earlier stage. The viability of such an indicator hinges on the possibility to determine the partisanship leaning (leftist or rightist) of voters by means of a limited number of questions. For this purpose a rather minimalist voting indicator (the VoteFork) was developed. The empirical results show that it is indeed possible to ascertain for the majority of voters whether they belong to left-wing or right-wing parties. In this part I also present a simple model which can be used as a benchmark to assess the quality of voting indicators, where quality is simply defined as the fraction of correct voting advises. This paper is pioneering in the sense that yet no serious attention is paid to voting indicators in general, to the criteria they should ideally meet and to the possibility to make them interactive. Comments are welcome.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Public Economics with number 0311001.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 14 Nov 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on Win98; pages: 26; figures: 2
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Other versions of this item:
- Loek Groot, 2005. "Criteria to Evaluate Voting Indicators and a Recipe for a New One," Computer Programs 0505002, EconWPA.
- H0 - Public Economics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2003-11-16 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-PBE-2003-11-16 (Public Economics)
- NEP-POL-2003-11-16 (Positive Political Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- André Krouwel & Annemarie Elfrinkhof, 2014. "Combining strengths of methods of party positioning to counter their weaknesses: the development of a new methodology to calibrate parties on issues and ideological dimensions," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 1455-1472, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.