Evaluation Of Quality Assurance Systems In The Agri-Food Sector
AbstractThe 'quality issue' in the agri-food sector has been gaining importance over the past few years. Firms are continually searching for techniques and tools which permit production of goods that meet as many as possible of the characteristics demanded by the market. Quality assurance methods and techniques can provide a useful tool for approaching evolving markets in the correct way. This paper focuses on a survey conducted in certain sub-sectors (fruit and vegetable, meal and pasta, wine) and is specifically restricted to the Emilia-Romagna region. The survey found that there is extensive awareness of and widespread interest in quality systems. However, the objective of initiating a pattern of renewal which incorporates quality systems has not yet been widely attained. The survey also highlighted a certain absence of the 'quality culture' necessary for correctly addressing these issues. The second part of this paper focuses on the economic analysis of the costs related to quality systems (QS). Its aim is to apply a method for collecting data on activities and resources, and to analyse the results. The importance of QS-related costs is evident if we are to consider it an investment, entailing the deployment of management effort and funds, and yielding a set of benefits in return. Case study analyses were conducted utilising an original classification scheme. From the initial results it is possible to identify the principal cost categories. The method adopted could be useful for firms wishing to monitor their QS.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0505005.
Date of creation: 03 May 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf. Proceedings of the Sixth Joint Conference on Agriculture, Food, and the Environment, August 31 - September 2, 1998, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Other versions of this item:
- Canavari, Maurizio & Regazzi, Domenico & Spadoni, Roberta, 1998. "Evaluation Of Quality Assurance Systems In The Agri-Food Sector," Conference Papers 14497, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- P - Economic Systems
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
- Z - Other Special Topics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2005-05-07 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2005-05-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-SEA-2005-05-07 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Noelke, Corinna M. & Caswell, Julie A., 2000. "A Model Of The Implementation Of Quality Management Systems For Credence Attributes," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21874, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.