Pricing in Economies with a Variable Number of Commodities
AbstractWe present a general equilibrium model that encompasses the endogenous selection of a set of tradeable commodities. At its foundation we introduce the notion of a trade infrastructure as a set of social institutions describing the trade and production technologies available to the agents in the economy. Our model bridges the analyses of economies with a finite number of commodities and those with an infinite number, and it provides a general framework for investigating a very large class of possible applications. We discuss in detail a simple example on the development of a guild economy into a market based economy. We introduce an equilibrium concept that describes the pricing of trade infrastructures, based on the notion of valuation equilibrium for economies with abstract public goods, as in Diamantaras and Gilles (1996, International Economic Review, 37, 851-860). Through this concept we are able to price the tradeability of a commodity by itself. As our main results we obtain the existence as well as the decentralization of Pareto efficient allocations using the concept of valuation equilibrium. JEL classification: D23, D41, D46, D59, D90, H40, O12
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Microeconomics with number 9710002.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 15 Oct 1997
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Adobe Acrobat 3.0 document; prepared on IBM PC/Win 3.11; to print on Any printer Adobe Reader can use; pages: 35 ; figures: None
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Trading systems infrastructures welfare theorems general equilibrium Public economics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D41 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Perfect Competition
- D46 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Value Theory
- D59 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Other
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - General
- H40 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - General
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.