Business Tax Incentives and Investment
AbstractEconomists of all stripes view a rise in investment spending as the cure for nearly any macroeconomic disorder. Given that only public investment is amenable to direct control, how is the "optimal" level of investment in a given economy ensured? One route is through public policies aimed at producing incentives for private sector investment. In this paper, Karier evaluates the efficacy of one such program, the investment tax credit (ITC), in stimulating private investment expenditures. (The credit was in place sporadically and in various forms between the years 1966 and 1987 and applied only to investment in machinery, equipment, and furniture.)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 9907001.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jul 1999
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 40; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Long, J Bradford & Summers, Lawrence H, 1991.
"Equipment Investment and Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 445-502, May.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1990. "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 3515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, . "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth," J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers _122, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Peter K. Clark, 1993. "Tax Incentives and Equipment Investment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 317-347.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.