Krugman on the Liquidity Trap: Why Inflation Won't Bring Recovery in Japan
AbstractPaul Krugman has argued that Japan is in a liquidity trap and that it can recover only if the central bank there follows a policy of "credible inflation." This paper argues that Krugman's proposal, which is similar to what Fisher proposed during the Depression, is based on a different interpretation of the liquidity trap from that proposed by Keynes and as a result his policy recommendations can result in neither the elimination of the trap nor in Japan's economic recovery.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0004045.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 23 Oct 2000
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Adobe Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 19; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Other versions of this item:
- J. A. Kregel, 2000. "Krugman on the liquidity trap: why inflation won't bring recovery in Japan," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 1(1), pages 39-58, January-J.
- Jan A. Kregel, 2000. "Krugman on the Liquidity Trap: Why Inflation Won't Bring Recovery In Japan," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_298, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mauro Boianovsky, 2003. "The IS-LM Model and the Liquidity Trap Concept: from Hicks to Krugman," Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting] a13, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Joerg Bibow, 2004. "Fiscal Consolidation Contrasting Strategies & Lessons from International Experience," Macroeconomics 0402014, EconWPA.
- Peter Spahn, 2007. "Real Interest Rates, Intertemporal Prices and Macroeconomic Stabilization A Journey Through the History of Economic Thought," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim 292/2007, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.