Anticipations, External Crises and Growth Cycles in Emerging Market Countries
AbstractThis paper attempts to carry out a study of relative importance of anticipated and unanticipated external crises for the dynamics of economic growth. The estimations are carried out within a two equation system capturing the possibility of a common shock to external crises and growth. The effect of current-account reversals on growth appears to be similar across considered regions, however, one cannot draw any general conclusion about the importance of the unanticipated component of the reversals for growth. The effect of currency crises appears to vary across the regions of Central and Eastern Europe, Latin America and Asia. The unanticipated component of the currency crises is significant only in CEE. The unanticipated component in the effect of the joint crisis on growth appears to be important in Latin America, and with lower precision also in CEE and Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Finance with number 0502003.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 04 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 30
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Anticipations; External Crises; Growth Cycle; Panel Data.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.