Markov Chain Approximations For Term Structure Models
AbstractWe derive discrete markov chain approximations for continuous state equilibrium term structure models. The states and transition probabilities of the markov chain are chosen effciently according to a quadrature rule as in Tauchen and Hussey (1991). Quadrature provides a simple yet method which can easily incorporates complication like non- normality, heteroskedasticity, and multiple factors. We use the extended Vasicek model of the term structure as an example for this procedure and compare its pricing efficiency and accuracy to the popular trinomial tree approximation of Hull and White (1990). We further illustrate, with numerical examples, the and effciency of this procedure in pricing interest rate options when the underlying interest rate has conditional non-normality and multiple factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0207018.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2002
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - postcript; prepared on LaTex; to print on postscript; pages: 41 ; figures: included. prepared via dvips
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
markov chain; term structure; interest rates; mean-reversion; quadrature; option pricing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-09-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2002-09-11 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2002-09-11 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.