Conserved RNA Secondary Structures in Picornaviridae Genomes
AbstractThe family Picornaviridae contains important pathogens including, for example, Hepatitis A virus and Foot-and-Mouth Disease Virus. The genome of these viruses is a single messenger-active (+)-RNA of 7200 to 8500nts. Besides coding for the viral proteins, it also contains functionally important RNA secondary structures, among them an IRES region toward the 5'end. This contribution provides a comprehensive computational survey of the complete genomic RNAs and a detailed comparative analysis of the conserved structural elements in seven of the currently nine genera in the family Picornaviridae. Compared with previous studies we find: (1) that only smaller sections of the IRES region than previously reported are conserved at single-base-pair resolution, and (2) that there is a number of significant structural elements in the coding region. Furthermore we identify potential CREs in four genera where this feature has not been reported so far.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Santa Fe Institute in its series Working Papers with number 01-08-040.
Date of creation: Aug 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1399 Hyde Park Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
Web page: http://www.santafe.edu/sfi/publications/working-papers.html
More information through EDIRC
Picornaviridae; RNA secondary structure; IRES; CRE;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-09-26 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ivo L. Hofacker & Martin Fekete & Christoph Flamm & Martijn A. Huynen & Susanne Rauscher & Paul E. Stolorz & Peter F. Stadler, 1998. "Automatic Detection of Conserved RNA Structure Elements in Complete RNA Virus Genomes," Working Papers 98-02-020, Santa Fe Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.