The Future of Stock Exchanges in Emerging Economies: Evolution and Prosepcts
AbstractWe study the determinants of stock market development and the growing migration of capital raising, listing, and trading activity to international exchanges. Economies with better fundamentals have larger and more liquid markets. As fundamentals improve, however, the degree of migration to international exchanges also increases. This leads to gains for corporations in the form of lower costs and more liquidly-traded shares. Fully-fledged local stock exchanges are thus becoming less necessary for many economies. Furthermore, migration can leave too little domestic activity to sustain a local exchange. Therefore, the functions and forms of stock exchanges in many economies need rethinking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania in its series Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers with number 02-03.
Date of creation: Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
stock exchange development; internationalization of financial markets; trading migration; emerging economies; cross-listing; ADRs; GDRs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-04-15 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mapa, Dennis S. & Briones, Kristine Joy S., 2006. "Measuring the Common Component of Stock Market Fluctuations in the Asia-Pacific Region," MPRA Paper 21247, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Claessens, Stijn & Kingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2002.
"Explaining the Migration of Stocks from Exchanges in Emerging Economies to International Centres,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2002. "Explaining the migration of stocks from exchanges in emerging economies to international centers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2816, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio, 2002. "Explaining the Migration of Stocks from Exchanges in Emerging Economies to International Centres," CEPR Discussion Papers 3301, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 2008.
"Financial market integration under EMU,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2008/33, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 2008. "Financial Market Integration Under EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 7091, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2008. "Financial Market Integration under EMU," European Economy - Economic Papers 312, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2008. "Financial Market Integration Under EMU," CSEF Working Papers 197, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Craig Doidge & G. Andrew Karolyi & Karl V. Lins & Darius P. Miller & René M. Stulz, 2009.
"Private Benefits of Control, Ownership, and the Cross-listing Decision,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 64(1), pages 425-466, 02.
- Doidge, Craig & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Lins, Karl V. & Miller, Darius & Stulz, Rene M., 2005. "Private Benefits of Control, Ownership, and the Cross-Listing Decision," Working Papers 05-1, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Doidge, Craig & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Lins, Karl V. & Millers, Darius P. & Stulz, Rene M., 2005. "Private Benefits of Control, Ownership, and the Cross-Listing Decision," Working Paper Series 2005-2, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Craig Doidge & G. Andrew Karolyi & Karl V. Lins & Darius P. Miller & Rene M. Stulz, 2005. "Private Benefits of Control, Ownership, and the Cross-Listing Decision," NBER Working Papers 11162, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonín Rusek, 2005. "Financial Integration and the New EU Member Countries: Challenges and Dilemmas," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2005(1), pages 17-32.
- Hali J. Edison & Francis E. Warnock, 2003. "Cross-board listings, capital controls, and equity flows to emerging markets," International Finance Discussion Papers 770, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edison, Hali J. & Warnock, Francis E., 2008.
"Cross-border listings, capital controls, and equity flows to emerging markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1013-1027, October.
- Hali J. Edison & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "Cross-border Listings, Capital Controls, and Equity Flows To Emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 12589, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horobet, Alexandra & Lupu, Radu, 2009. "Are Capital Markets Integrated? A Test of Information Transmission within the European Union," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 6(2), pages 64-80, June.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Jung Suk-Yu, 2007. "Stock Exchange Alliances in Organization of Islamic Conferences (OIC) Countries," NFI Working Papers 2007-WP-18, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Ricardo N. Bebczuk, 2005.
"Corporate Governance and Ownership: Measurement and Impact on Corporate Performance and Dividend Policies in Argentina,"
Research Department Publications
3212, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ricardo N. Bebczuk, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Ownership: Measurement and Impact on Corporate Performance and Dividend Policies in Argentina," Department of Economics, Working Papers 059, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.