Giacomo Becattini and the notion of â€œMarshallian Industrial Districtâ€
AbstractAbstract: The notion of â€œMarshallian Industrial Districtâ€ proposed by Giacomo Becattini in the first seventies has led a revolution in the local economic analysis around the world. The paper offers a methodological interpretation of the approach adopted by Becattini. The roots are clearly Marshallian. He understands the economy as a complex social science that operates in historical time. But Becattini goes beyond because he proposes a new unity of analysis for the local economic development. The paper identifies similarities and differences between the original concept of â€œIndustrial Districtâ€ proposed by Marshall and the concept of â€œMarshallian Industrial Districtâ€ in the Becattiniâ€™s approach. The paper uses the distinction between logical time, real time and historical time. The â€œMarshallian Industrial Districtâ€ approach proposes the study of economic process located in specific areas and explained in historical time. Keywords: industrial district, Marshallian industrial district, methodology of economics, Schumpeterâ€™s economic analysis, historical time, economic process. JEL: B31, B41
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa11p1168.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2011-12-05 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HIS-2011-12-05 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HME-2011-12-05 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-HPE-2011-12-05 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2011-12-05 (Post Keynesian Economics)
- NEP-URE-2011-12-05 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.