A Reconsideration of Import Substitution
AbstractOne of the earliest general strategies of development that directly involves international transactions is that usuallly called import substitution. This paper studies the import substitution story -why and how it came to be -and the rise of the outward-oriented approach (a contrary approach to import substitution) -why and how it came to be and -temporarily at least- to win the battle between the two approaches. Then it examines the dounts that have arisen with respect to the latter approach, and the nature of the new tensions that now exist with respect to an appropriate trade strategy.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Williams College in its series Center for Development Economics with number 156.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Sheppard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.