Growth Policy in the Spirit of Steindl and Kalecki
AbstractThere are large differences between Steindl's ideas on growth policies and the Brussels/Paris consensus. Steindl called for innovation and education policies, whereas the mainstream today rather favours deregulation and privatization. Steindl stressed the positive demand-side effects of the public sector and the contribution of lower household savings and anticyclical policies to growth. The economic mainstream praises the efficiency effects of a declining public sector, the importance of high savings for investment and warns of active anticyclical policies being an impediment to budget consolidation. Steindl and the Keynesians regarded the labour market situation as a consequence of economic growth. Today many economists see low growth as a result of labour market rigidities. Copyright ï¿½ 2006 The Authors; Journal compilation ï¿½ 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by WIFO in its series WIFO Working Papers with number 240.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 13 Dec 2004
Date of revision:
Growth Policy in the Spirit of Steindl and Kalecki;
Other versions of this item:
- Alois Guger & Markus Marterbauer & Ewald Walterskirchen, 2006. "Growth Policy In The Spirit Of Steindl And Kalecki," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 428-442, 07.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tausch, Arno, 2011. "The efficiency and effectiveness of social spending in the EU-27 and the OECD – a 2011 reanalysis," MPRA Paper 33516, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tausch, Arno, 2011. "Globalization as a driver or bottleneck for sustainable development. General tendencies and European implications," MPRA Paper 33227, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tausch, Arno, 2011. "The ‘four economic freedoms’ and life quality. General tendencies and some hard lessons for EU-27-Europe," MPRA Paper 33225, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tausch, Arno & Heshmati, Almas, 2011.
"Migration, Openness and the Global Preconditions of 'Smart Development',"
IZA Discussion Papers
6169, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arno Tausch & Almas Heshmati, 2012. "Migration, Openness and the Global Preconditions of "Smart Development"," Bogazici Journal of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Bogazici University, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 1-62.
- Karl Aiginger & Alois Guger, 2005. "The European Socio-Economic Model. Differences to the USA and Changes over Time," WIFO Working Papers 266, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.