Economists, institutions, and trade restrictions : a review article
AbstractA review article on the work of"practitioners of contemporary economic analysis of trade restrictions", this report focuses on three questions : a) are there holes in the case of free trade? B) Why are trade restrictions imposed, and c) how do US policy actions and those of other nations interact ? On the first question, though difficult to identify when there is profit to be captured by trade intervention and to design an appropriate trade intervention policy, capturing a strategic sector and economic rents is important to equity holders without necessarily being of much significance to the economy as a whole. Further, on trade restrictions, these are often aimed at non economic objectives, since economic sanctions tend to be used only when other instruments fail. As for the interaction of US policy actions versus other nations, they are a manifestation of protectionist legislation in the US Congress and perhaps indictments against GATT as wrong headed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 78.
Date of creation: 30 Sep 1988
Date of revision:
TF054105-DONOR FUNDED OPERATION ADMINISTRATION FEE INCOME AND EXPENSE ACCOUNT; Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Theory&Research; Rules of Origin; Trade Policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- TF0 - - - - - -
- FUN - International Economics - - - - -
- OPE - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - - - -
- ADM - General Economics and Teaching - - - - -
- FEE - International Economics - - - - -
- INC - Health, Education, and Welfare - - - - -
- AND - General Economics and Teaching - - - - -
- EXP - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - - - -
- ACC - General Economics and Teaching - - - - -
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hallett Andrew Hughes & Braga C. A. Primo, 1994.
"The New Regionalism and the Threat of Protectionism,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 388-421, December.
- Hallet, Andrew Hughes & Braga, Carlos A. Primo & DEC, 1994. "The new regionalism and the threat of protectionism," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1349, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.