Measuring financial access around the world
AbstractThis paper introduces a new set of financial access indicators for 139 countries across the globe and describes the results of a preliminary analysis of this data set. The new data set builds on previous work using a similar methodology. The new data set features broader country coverage and greater disaggregation by type of financial product and by type of institution supplying the product -- commercial banks, specialized state run savings and development banks, banks with mutual ownership structure (such as cooperatives), and microfinance institutions. The authors use the data set to conduct a rough estimation of the number of bank accounts in the world (6.2 billion) as well as the number of banked and unbanked individuals. In developed countries, they estimate 3.2 accounts per adult and 81 percent of adults banked. By contrast, in developing countries, they estimate only 0.9 accounts per adult and 28 percent banked. In regression analysis, they find that measures of development and physical infrastructure are positively associated with the indicators of deposit account, loan, and branch penetration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5253.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Access to Finance; Banks&Banking Reform; Debt Markets; Emerging Markets; E-Business;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-04-11 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2010-04-11 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DEV-2010-04-11 (Development)
- NEP-MFD-2010-04-11 (Microfinance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- María Elena Gutierrez & Xavier Mommens, 2011. "Cambio climático en América Latina y el Caribe: Riesgos para el sector de las microfinanzas y oportunidades para la adaptación: 2011," IDB Publications 61318, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Pascaline Dupas & Sarah Green & Anthony Keats & Jonathan Robinson, 2012. "Challenges in Banking the Rural Poor: Evidence from Kenya's Western Province," NBER Working Papers 17851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kangni Kpodar & Mihasonirina Andrianaivo, 2011. "ICT, Financial Inclusion, and Growth Evidence from African Countries," IMF Working Papers 11/73, International Monetary Fund.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Robert Cull & Jun Qian & Lemma Senbet & Patricio Valenzuela, 2012.
"Resolving the African Financial Development Gap: Cross-Country Comparisons and a Within-Country Study of Kenya,"
NBER Working Papers
18013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- ALLEN, Franklin & CARLETTI, Elena & CULL, Robert & QIAN, Jun & SENBET, Lemma & VALENZUELA, Patricio, 2012. "Resolving the African Financial Development Gap: Cross-country comparisons and a within-country study of Kenya," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/15, European University Institute.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena & Cull, Robert & Qian, Jun & Senbet, Lemma & Valenzuela, Patricio, 2013. "Resolving the African financial development gap : cross-country comparisons and a within-country study of Kenya," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6592, The World Bank.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2009. "Does Financial Outreach Engender Economic Growth? Evidence from Indian States," MPRA Paper 32072, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ben Jelili, Riadh & Abdmoulah, Walid, 2013. "Access to Finance Thresholds and the Finance-Growth Nexus," MPRA Paper 52221, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2012.
- Thammarak Moenjak & Kengjai Watjanapukka & Oramone Chantapant & Teeravit Pobsukhirun, 2010. "New Globalization: Risks and Opportunities for Thailand in the Next Decade," Working Papers 2010-04, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Ardic, Oya Pinar & Heimann, Maximilien & Mylenko, Nataliya, 2011. "Access to financial services and the financial inclusion agenda around the world : a cross-country analysis with a new data set," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5537, The World Bank.
- María Elena Gutierrez & Xavier Mommens, 2011. "2011: Climate Change: Latin America and the Caribbean: Risks for the Microfinance Sector and Opportunities for Adaptation," IDB Publications 62058, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Recep YORULMAZ, 2013. "Construction of a Regional Financial Inclusion Index in Turkey," Journal of BRSA Banking and Financial Markets, Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency, vol. 7(1), pages 79-101.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.