The Hidden Economy and the Tax-Gap in New Zealand: A Latent Variable Analysis
AbstractThis paper develops a structural, latent variable, model for the hidden economy in New Zealand, and a separate currency-demand model. The latent variable model is used to generate an historical time-series index of hidden economic activity, which is calibrated via the information from the currency-demand model. The hidden economy varies between 6.8% and 11.3% of measured GDP. This, in turn, implies that the tax-gap is of the order of 6.4% to 10.2% of total tax liability in that country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 9807.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 03 Jun 1998
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441. This paper was also released as UVic Discussion Paper 97-08 in April 1997, and a longer preliminary version was released as N.Z. Inland Revenue Department Working Paper 5a, November/December 1996. The final version of this paper is now available as vicewp:9905.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Hidden Economy; Underground Economy; Tax Avoidance; Tax Evasion; Latent Variables; Structural Modelling;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-10-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-1998-10-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-PBE-1998-10-19 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-1998-08-31 (Public Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David E.A. Giles, 1998.
"The Underground Economy: Minimizing the Size of Government,"
Econometrics Working Papers
9801, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E.A. Giles, 1998. "The Underground Economy: Minimizing the Size of Government," Department Discussion Papers 9801, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. A. Giles, 1998. "The Underground Economy: Minimizing the Size of Government," Econometrics Working Papers 9808, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Tedds, Lindsay, 2005. "The Underground Economy in Canada," MPRA Paper 4229, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.