Some Properties of Absolute Returns as a Proxy for Volatility
AbstractWe use the stochastic volatility model as a basis for investigating the statistical properties of absolute returns as a measure of latent volatility in financial markets. Our results are compared with existing results for squared returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 0706.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: 09 Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Volatility; stochastic volatility model; absolute returns; squared returns;
Other versions of this item:
- David Giles, 2008. "Some properties of absolute returns as a proxy for volatility," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(5), pages 347-350.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C46 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Specific Distributions
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2007-08-18 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2007-08-18 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde & Valérie Mignon, 2014.
"On the impact of oil price volatility on the real exchange rate–terms of trade nexus: Revisiting commodity currencies,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2014-3, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde & Valérie Mignon, 2013. "On the Impact of Oil Price Volatility on the Real Exchange Rate - Terms of Trade Nexus : Revisiting Commodity Currencies," Working Papers 2013-40, CEPII research center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.