Portfolio Performance Measure and A New Generalized Utility-based N-moment Measure
AbstractMost of the performance measures proposed in the financial and academic literature are subject to be gamed in an active management framework (Goetzmann et al., 2007). One of the main reasons of this drawback is due to an incomplete characterization by these measures of studied return distributions. We introduce a new flexible Generalized Utility-based N-moment measure of performance (GUN, in short), characterizing the whole return distribution, and thus hardly gamable. More precisely, it takes into account the first four moments of the return distribution and the associated sensitivities of the studied agent, reflecting his preferences and risk profile. The new performance measure is also well adapted for analyzing performance of hedge funds and more peculiarly in presence of derivative instruments associated with non-Gaussian return distributions. Length: 34
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari" in its series Working Papers with number 2013:22.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Utility Function; Performance Measures; Agents’ Preferences; Portfolio Ranking;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-HRM-2013-11-02 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-RMG-2013-11-02 (Risk Management)
- NEP-UPT-2013-11-02 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.