Smoking Behaviour and Life Satisfaction: Evidence from the UK Smoking Ban
AbstractWe use three waves of the British Household Panel Survey to examine whether changes in smoking behaviour are correlated with life satisfaction and whether the recent ban on smoking in public places in England, Wales and Northern Ireland has affected this relationship. We find that smokers who reduced their daily consumption of cigarettes after the ban report significantly lower levels of life satisfaction compared to those who did not change their smoking habits, with heavy smokers particularly affected. No such finding is reported for previous years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol in its series Working Papers with number 1019.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Life Satisfaction Smoking ban;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-HAP-2010-12-18 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-HEA-2010-12-18 (Health Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Smokers and the smoking ban: some hate it because they quit
by Economic Logician in Economic Logic on 2011-01-27 15:57:00
- If you stop smoking, will you be happier?
by Ariel Goldring in Free Market Mojo on 2010-12-29 12:00:10
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00664269 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abel Brodeur, 2012.
"Smoking, Income and Subjective Well-Being: Evidence from Smoking Bans,"
PSE Working Papers
- Brodeur, Abel, 2013. "Smoking, Income and Subjective Well-Being: Evidence from Smoking Bans," IZA Discussion Papers 7357, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Abel Brodeur, 2013. "Smoking, Income and Subjective Well-Being: Evidence from Smoking Bans," CEP Discussion Papers dp1202, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.