When Economics Faces the Economy: John Bates Clark and the 1914 Antitrust Legislation
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to analyze John Bates Clark’s influence in the passing of the Clayton and Federal Trade Commission Acts (1914). Specifically, it is argued and documented that Clark was important in this process in two ways. First, he exercised an “indirect” influence by discussing in academic journals and books problems concerning trusts, combinations, and the necessary measures to preserve the working of competitive markets. At least as importantly, if not more so, Clark took an active role in the reform movement both contributing to draft proposals for the amendment of existing antitrust legislation and providing help and advice during the Congressional debates which led to the passing of the FTC and Clayton Acts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Utah, Department of Economics in its series Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah with number 2012_01.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1645 E. Central Campus Dr. Front, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9300
Phone: (801) 581-7481
Fax: (801) 585-5649
Web page: http://economics.utah.edu
More information through EDIRC
B15; B31 JEL Classification:;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B15 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Historical; Institutional; Evolutionary
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2012-02-27 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2012-02-27 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-IND-2012-02-27 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-PKE-2012-02-27 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fiorito, Luca & Henry, John F., 2007. "John Bates Clark on Trusts: New Light from the Columbia Archives," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 229-250, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.