A multi-objective model for a multi-period distribution management problem
AbstractThe problems arising in commercial distribution are complex and involve several players and decision levels. One important decision is related with the design of the routes to distribute the products, in an efficient and inexpensive way. This article deals with a complex vehicle routing problem that can be seen as a new extension of the basic vehicle routing problem. The proposed model is a multi-objective combinatorial optimization problem that considers three objectives and multiple periods, which models in a closer way the real distribution problems. The first objective is cost minimization, the second is balancing work levels and the third is a marketing objective. An application of the model on a small example, with 5 clients and 3 days, is presented. The results of the model show the complexity of solving multi-objective combinatorial optimization problems and the contradiction between the several distribution management objective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 532.
Date of creation: Feb 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Distribution problem; multi-objective models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- M49 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- István Borgulya, 2008. "An algorithm for the capacitated vehicle routing problem with route balancing," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 331-343, December.
- Helena Ramalhinho-Lourenço, 2001. "Supply chain management: An opportunity for metaheuristics," Economics Working Papers 538, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.