Radial measures of public services deficit for regional allocation of public funds
AbstractThe goal of this paper is to present an optimal resource allocation model for the regional allocation of public service inputs. The proposed solution leads to maximise the relative public service availability in regions located below the best availability frontier, subject to exogenous budget restrictions and equality of access for equal need criteria (equity-based notion of regional needs). The construction of non-parametric deficit indicators is proposed for public service availability by a novel application of Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) models, whose results offer advantages for the evaluation and improvement of decentralised public resource allocation systems. The method introduced in this paper has relevance as a resource allocation guide for the majority of services centrally funded by the public sector in a given country, such as health care, basic and higher education, citizen safety, justice, transportation, environmental protection, leisure, culture, housing and city planning, etc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 439.
Date of creation: Dec 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Regional allocation; public services; equality of access; data envelopment analysis; best service availability frontier;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-03-06 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- del Carmen Marco Gil, M., 1995. "Efficient solutions for bargaining problems with claims," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 57-69, August.
- Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 1995. "Income distribution and social welfare: a review essay," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, Fundación SEPI, vol. 19(1), pages 3-34, January.
- Dutta, B. & Esteban, J., 1988. "Social Welfare And Equality," UFAE and IAE Working Papers, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC) 89.88, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- José María Tomás Adrian & Antonio Villar, 1993.
"La medición del bienestar mediante indicadores de renta real: caracterización de un índice de bienestar tipo Theil,"
Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI,
Fundación SEPI, vol. 17(1), pages 165-173, January.
- Antonio Villar Notario & José María Tomás, 1992. "La medición del bienestar mediante indicadores de "renta real": caracterización de un índice de bienestar tipo Theil," Working Papers. Serie EC, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie) 1992-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- A Bosch-Dom�nech & C Escribano, 1988. "Regional allocation of public funds: an evaluation index," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(10), pages 1323-1333, October.
- Bossert, Walter, 1993. "An alternative solution to bargaining problems with claims," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 205-220, May.
- Jaume Puig Junoy & Angel Lopez Nicoĺs, 1995. "Assessing health care infrastructure at the regional level: a statistical approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(12), pages 463-466.
- Roy Carr-Hill & Geoffrey Hardman & Stephen Martin & Stuart Peacock & Trevor Sheldon & Peter Smith, 1994. "A formula for distributing NHS revenues based on small area use of hospital beds," Working Papers, Centre for Health Economics, University of York 022cheop, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1998-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- GIJBELS, Irène & MAMMEN, Enno & PARK, Byeong U. & SIMAR, Léopold, 1997.
"On estimation of monotone and concave frontier functions,"
CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE)
1997031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GIJBELS, Irène & MAMMEN, Enno & PARK, Byeong U. & SIMAR, Léopold, . "On estimation of monotone and concave frontier functions," CORE Discussion Papers RP, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) -1392, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gijbels, Irène & Mammen, Enno & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, Léopold, 1998. "On estimation of monotone and concave frontier functions," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,9, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- Lovell, C.A.K., 1993.
"Linear Programming Approaches to the Measurement and Analysis of Productive Efficiency,"
Papers, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics
393e, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics.
- C. Lovell & Shawna Grosskopf & Eduardo Ley & Jesús Pastor & Diego Prior & Philippe Eeckaut, 1994. "Linear programming approaches to the measurement and analysis of productive efficiency," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 175-248, December.
- Herrero, Carmen & Marco, Maria Carmen, 1993. "Rational equal-loss solutions for bargaining problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 273-286, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.