Pro-poor growth and pro-poor convergence across countries
AbstractIn this paper, we examine the link between the concepts of income convergence and pro-poor growth in a panel of countries. We show that if growth is pro-poor, then the convergence which occurs is a ‘pro-poor convergence’, because it necessarily implies a fall in income inequality. The empirical analysis uses the data on GDP per capita of 15 European countries for the period 1950-2005. Although the long-run shows pro-poor growth and convergence, the results stress that there are differences in such patterns across periods. Thus, the sub-period 1950-1973 exhibits an unambiguously pro-poor growth and convergence process in the European Union. In contrast, the 1974-2005 sub-period points out two phenomena: neither convergence nor divergence (1974-1992), and a neutral process of growth, i.e., income and inequality converge at the same speed (1993-2005). In the light of these findings, one can question the positive effects of European integration and the effectiveness of the economic and social cohesion policies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg in its series Working Papers of BETA with number 2008-17.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PEGE. 61, Aven. de la Forêt-Noire 67000 Strasbourg
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Pro-poor Growth; Pro-poor Convergence ; Income Inequality ; European Countries.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.